Martin F. Wheelock
Martin Frederick Wheelock was born in Oneida, WI, in 1874 and attended Carlisle Indian School in Carlisle, PA, from 1890-1902 where he became a varsity letterman on the legendary Carlisle Indians football team for years 1894-1902.
The Indians played against all the major teams in the East and some in the Midwest. In 1899, with Wheelock as Captain, the team received an invitation to play the University of California in San Francisco on Christmas Day for the "East-West Championship". The California team had just finished an undefeated season and had been un-scored upon. Following an adventurous train trip across the country, the Indians defeated California by a score of 2-0 in a tough game fought on a slow, sandy field.
Wheelock played guard and tackle during his career, was the leading kicker many years, and finished as center in 1902. Despite bouts of pleurisy, he is reported to have played football for one season at Haskell Institute in Kansas after leaving Carlisle. Following the end of his football career, Wheelock returned home to Oneida, WI, where he married a former Carlisle student, had a family, farmed, and used his extensive education (for the times) to help interpret important matters. He died in 1937.
Honors and recognition Wheelock received include: Carlisle Indians Team Captain, 1899 and 1901; Second Team All-American in 1901; All-University Team in 1902 by the Sports Department of the Philadelphia Inquirer; named by Glenn Warner as his choice for left guard on his all-time Carlisle line-up, and frequent mention in the school newspaper, "The Indian Helper".
When Wheelock spent time at home in Wisconsin, he was recruited to play one season for the Green Bay football team (before they were the Packers). Wheelock, along with other Oneida football players who played for the Green Bay town team, is featured on a Walk of Legends statue outside Lambeau Field.
In 1980, Martin Frederick Wheelock was inducted into the American Indian Athletic Hall of Fame at Haskell Indian Junior College in Lawrence, Kansas.